Our class text this half term is 'Mufaro's beautiful daughters'. We will be using this text to develop our information retrieval, inference, writer's craft and vocabulary skills during our Guided Reading sessions. We will be looking at the underlying ethics and themes throughout the text, as well as developing our own fiction tales with a moral. Towards the end of this half term, we will be looking at script writing and using our own fiction tales to create scripts for a play.
This half term we will be looking at 'Calculating Space'. We will be developing our understanding of perimeter and area. Key concepts include:
- Measure and calculate the perimeter of a rectilinear figure (including squares) in centimetres and metres
- Find the area of rectilinear shapes by counting squares
Afterwards, we will be focusing on 'Checking, Approximating and Estimating'. Key concepts include:
- Round any number to the nearest 10, 100 or 1000
- Round decimals with one decimal place to the nearest whole number
- Estimate and use inverse operations to check answers to a calculation
- Solve number and practical problems that involve all of the above and with increasingly large positive numbers
In this topic, we will gain an understanding of what Fair trade is, and how it benefits farmers; What Fair trade products there are and how to find them and how we can support Fair trade.
RE: The Way, the Truth, the life.
'The Early Christians'
Through this topic, this children will:
· Have the opportunity to know that Jesus made Peter head of the Church. Think about what this means for all Christians
· Have the opportunity to know that the Church began at Pentecost. Think about what the Holy Spirit is able to do.
· Have the opportunity to know what happened to Stephen and Saul. Reflect on how God brings good out of evil.
· Have the opportunity to know about the challenges of being an apostle.
· Reflect on how God worked through Paul and Silas. Have an opportunity to know about Paul’s missionary journeys
· Reflect on Paul’s faith and courage
There is no specific Science unit this half term. We made the decision to weave our 'Scientists and Inventors' and unit throughout our other units with it being such a short half term. This has positively allowed us to make explicit links with our Science topics.
'We are software developers'
This half term, we will research and play various educational computer games. We will use our research, alongside Purple Mash and Scratch to help us develop our own 'educational computer game' prototype.
'Cricket and Swimming'
This half term, our PE sessions will take place on a Monday and Friday afternoon. On a Monday afternoon, we will be having coaches from Wellington Cricket Club come in to coach Year 4's cricket. On a Friday afternoon, Year 4 will be going swimming.
With it being such a short half term and Year 4 swimming starting, we have made the decision that there will be no specific Music focus this half term. We will, of course, still continue to pick up our music curriculum where there are gaps.
We did also do a lot of extra music last half term when we were rehearsing for our Easter Production!
Modern Foreign Languages: French